R&D Senior Engineer
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
As Nokia's growth engine, we create value for communication service providers and enterprise customers by leading the transition to cloud-native software and as-a-service delivery models. Our inclusive team of dreamers, doers and disruptors push the limits from impossible to possible.
Mobile Network Insights is a portfolio of use cases and products providing rich big data analytics capabilities for mobile communications service providers globally. Our capabilities are ranging from Network Element EDGE analytics to advanced on-prem analytics and AI&ML solutions backed by managed public cloud alike services.
In Mobile Network Insights Engineering we innovate and deliver the core use cases and value for MNI customer solutions. We are the experts and partners for our customers in multi vendor network data at the network element level, and our solutions are fully cloud native to be customized and deployed according to varying customer needs.
Customer Engagement team is the primary engineering interface working with product subject matter experts, technical support, and services teams as well as directly with customers to address operational and in-market product life cycle improvement opportunities by delivering product configuration and SW updates.
As a R&D Senior Engineer in the MNI Customer Engagement team, you will be responsible for in-market product maintenance activities, integrating and testing products and supporting application developers in optimizing their workloads for the system. Having thorough understanding of software development and maintenance, you feel equally comfortable with new software to automate testing tasks and frameworks and to maintain already deployed systems and providing correction/enhancement deliveries to our customers.
If you join us, you will have the opportunity to apply your engineering skills, your deep knowledge and experience in designing systems and solutions that will be deployed globally to our Nokia customers.
What you will learn and contribute to
Are you passionate about creating solutions, solving problems and developing skills in the latest, cutting edge networks?
As R&D Senior Engineer in our Customer Engagement team you have proven track record on developing technical solutions. You have solid people centric mindset and minimum 10 years of experience. You have solid understanding of R&D create and care processes. Having thorough understanding of cloud native software development and you feel equally comfortable supporting new software to automate administrative tasks and frameworks to simplify application operations as well as assisting our Technical support staff, deployment strategy and test automation toolchains for complex, cloud native distributed systems built on top of open-source technologies.
You will work in MNI R&D and with technical support and services teams as well as business owners and customers on operational requirements and help our own R&D teams come up with a detailed operational requirement that fulfills both the functional and non-functional requirements, quality standards, and legal criteria.
As part of our team, you will take care of:
- SW testing and validation including performance and security testing and reporting, test automation, correction deliveries, installation documentation
- Participating in troubleshooting, maintenance (fault management) and internal tool development for DevOps.
- Deployment and upgrade support and automation
- Participating in troubleshooting, maintenance and internal tool development for DevOps.
- Constantly improving the product and keeping up the best possible quality. Sharing ideas and coaching other team members on your special area.
Your skills and experience
- Several years of experience in understanding complex distributed systems and/or system software
- Excellent Linux knowledge: file descriptors, scripting and buffers used for connections, NAT tables, network namespaces, kernel tuning, DNS and network configuration, device management etc.
- Good understanding of virtualization platforms used in private cloud and/or modern server hardware
- Fluent spoken and written English and excellent communications skills is a must
It would be nice if you also had:
- Genuine drive and desire to work with cutting edge technologies to deliver a superior experience to our customers.
- Structured approach, capability to contribute hands-on when needed
- Experience also in Ops side of DevOps, preferably in SaaS and CaaS environments and applications
- Familiarity with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes, automation tools & associated DevOps toolchains.
- Kafka and Cloudera Datalake knowledge is an advantage
- Attention to detail and preference to automate repetitive tasks instead of running them manually
- Solid understanding of computer networking: TCP/IP, DNS, TLS handshakes, termination & certificate authentication, higher level protocols like HTTP, WebSockets and Grpc, VPN, SOCKS and HTTP proxies
- Experience in leveraging cloud-based managed services
- Experience in using open-source solutions, a track record of open-source contributions is highly valued
- Observability, Serviceability, Operability topics are daily topics for you and understanding “Golden signals” in this area is no-brainer for you
- Support in troubleshooting and performance optimization of analytics workloads.
- Enhancing deployment and upgrade automation of services in own area.
What we offer
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people. Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect. Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people. Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.